The University prevents networked computer users from installing software on library machines. Additionally, if the network cable is pulled from the outlet, the connection is instantly disabled. Only Schreiner computers may be plugged into campus network connections.
The exception to this policy extends along the windowed sides of the library where there are wired connections (ports) that you may utilize with your own LAN cable (student access only).
Schreiner staff, students and faculty are provided with a login and password to access email and library resources.
Community patrons may use designated computers (4 located near the Reference desk). Passwords are posted on the machine for immediate use.
Three failed attempts to login to a library computer will result in a locked account that will become usable again in 30 minutes. For assistance, ask at the Reference Desk. Library computers also time out when users forget to logoff. These computers can be made usable again by restarting the computer with the power button.
Email access is available to students and community patrons via the web only. Access to Schreiner email is available via a link on the Library's home page.
Printing in black and white or color is available to all users via a login and password system. A library printer (printer name:"library black and white aristapus") must be selected before printing anything or the printouts will come out in the computer lab in Dickey Hall.
- Schreiner students are provided with printing accounts whose balance is refreshed each semester. Additional monies may be added to student printing accounts by consulting staff at the Reference Desk.
- Community patrons must pay for printouts at the Circulation Desk at time of pickup.
Wireless Internet Access
The campus wireless network (provided by Apogee) is available to the Schreiner community. The library has a number of laptops available at the Circulation/Reserve Desk for checkout to Schreiner students. Wireless internet is only available to Schreiner Students, Faculty, and Staff.
Available Library Computers and Equipment
The Library has approximately 50 computers with Internet access available for student and community use. Resources such as the Library's web catalog, article and citation databases, and dozens of informational web pages are accessible through the Library's web site.
Computers are located in four areas of the building.
- An ADA-compliant workstation with access to the Internet, MS Office, Kurzweil software and OmniPage Pro is available near the Reference Desk (located inside the Sunporch).
- Twenty (20) computers with access to the Internet and Microsoft Office are located in the main part of the Library near the Reference Desk.
- Four (4) computers located near the Reference desk are dedicated to guest users (guests of Schreiner, parents, family, and community patrons.
- Two (2) computers are connected to scanners in which images can be saved to USB external drives. One (1) of the scanner computers also has Adobe creative software (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.).
- Two (2) computers are located within private study rooms.
- Twenty (20) computers are located at the far end of the main part of the Library in an area referred to as the Sun Porch Electronic Classroom. These computers are loaded with Microsoft Office applications, some specialized software, as well as Internet Explorer.
- When not scheduled for instruction, the Sun Porch machines are available for students.
- To schedule use of the Sun Porch Electronic Classroom, instructors may call ext. 7319 or stop by the Reference Desk.
- To schedule bibliographic instruction, please contact a librarian to schedule a class time and date.