SU home

logan banner logan home site map Logan Library

 

 

Logan Home > About > Facts and History

history banner

 

interior logan  logan exterior

In the Library

  1. 83,000 volumes, 200+ periodical subscriptions, 100+ online databases (38 full text), over 10,000 online journals, and over 30,000 e-books
  2. Comprehensive reference collection of 5000 books
  3. Interlibrary Loan Services
  4. 20 student terminals with access to the Internet and all electronic library resources
  5. Sun Porch Electronic Classroom with 20 workstations equipped with the Microsoft Office Suite, Internet access, and some subject-specific software 
  6. Multimedia Production Center equipped with flatbed scanners and software to allow production of multimedia or video
  7. Archival digitizing center
  8. 13 collaborative study rooms 
  9. One small, reservable classroom 
  10. Four degreed faculty librarians available for class instruction and individual assistance 

History

W.M. Logan, D.D. The William Logan Library is named for William M. Logan who was a Presbyterian minister and Chair of the Board of Trustees from 1955-1972.

He was a Presbyterian pastor in Kerrville in 1950 when he was first appointed to the Board, he later served as a pastor in San Antonio, Austin, and Brownwood. His portrait (see image right) hangs in the main part of the Library.

Logan Library's current 34,000 square feet began with an original building of 7,000 square feet. Designed by Ford, Powell and Carson, Inc. of San Antonio, the $5.5 million expansion was completed in 1985 by wrapping new construction completely around the original library.

Today, Logan Library houses over 83,000 volumes and provides Internet access from 25 workstations. Students find quiet contemplation in private study rooms and classes often take advantage of two multimedia machines as well as the 20 computer workstations in the Sun Porch Electronic Classroom. Prior to 1967, the Library was housed in the Tom Murray Building, built in 1940.

The Grand Hall was completed in 1992 with funds provided by the Fish Foundation. The tapestry hanging in the Hall is 5 by 15 feet and was created by Becky Patterson. Based on Psalm 8, it offers Hill Country representations of Adam, Eve, and the Peaceable Kingdom.